Thursday, July 7, 2011

Plotter or Pantser?

I have read that there are two kinds of writers.

There are those who carefully plan their novels. They are plotters (not to be mistake with plodders). They outline plots, sub-plots, character development, arcs and exactly what will happen in each chapter.

Then, there are pantsers (think fly by the seat of your pants - which is pretty ironic - writers describing themselves with a cliche and all). Pantsers have a general idea where they want to go but they make up the details along the way.

Guess which one I am. Not just in my writing but in my life.

I have an idea for a novel. I think it's a pretty good idea. It's an idea that needs to sit on the back-burner for a few months while the word count for a Roaring Scandal grows and Prairie Gothic moves from YA to MG. While it simmers, I just might write an outline.

1 comment:

  1. I've tried both methods...very much a plotter when working with a co-author. (Have to be. Can't fly by the seatS of your collective pants!) But ... I'm finding myself having so much fun being a Pantser with my MG fantasy/fairy tale novel. And I think my WIP YA novel is a bit of both... Maybe some day I'll settle down to one strategy.

    ReplyDelete