Saturday, March 19, 2011

Home again, home again

At home in my favorite chair ignoring a basketball game. Temple and San Diego State? Even if I'd filled out a tourney bracket, I wouldn't care.

I've been reading Telling Lies for Fun and Profit - I actually had a whole hour to read yeasterday while the dreamy one took the girls out in a canoe. Lawrence Block eschews giving advice on flabby adverbs and the passive voice (e.g. Mom was tired v. Mom sank into her favorite with a grateful sigh. Her eyelids felt weighted and Bryant Gumbel's voice sounded like a lullaby). Instead he suggests writing a set amount every day and this gem, "Don't begin at the beginning."

So much to think about.

Oooh San Diego won. Still don't care. Probably something about those weighted eyelids.

Sweet dreams

No comments:

Post a Comment