Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Riddler, The Joker and The Juggler

Remember the Riddler from Batman? Not the Jim Carrey version but the campy Adam West version. The middle-aged man in a tight suit version. The completely inane riddle version…


A few of the riddles at our house… "What's for dinner?" Please note, there is no correct answer; someone will always be unhappy… "I hate fill-in-the-blank! We always have what she wants." Or, the ever popular, "Mom, where are my socks/cleats/shoes/shin guards? Where is my coat/backpack/money/school uniform?" Apparently, "wherever you left it," is not an acceptable answer. Divining the location of lost items is an overlooked aspect of my job description. I frequently hear, "Will you take me to the movies? And pay for it? And pick me up?" Or, the ever popular, "Why do you let her get away with everything?" This question is accompanied by the editorial comment – "It's so unfair!!!" Of course, I cannot forget, "Who drank all the juice? Who ate all the cookies? Who took my i-touch?"

I have a few questions…How do dirty socks end up in the couch? Who put the empty milk carton back in the frig? Where did that awful t-shirt come from? (I never bought it!) Why can no one feed the dog without being prompted at least four times? What is a roll of pink duct tape doing on the steps? For that matter, why do we have hot pink duct tape? ZOUNDS!

Current word count – 19,594

No comments:

Post a Comment