- adverbs are not my friends
- the passive tense is...passive
- present participles are like salt, they add flavor when used sparingly
- grammar and spelling count
- my crutch words include 'that' and 'could' - I used Wordle to identify them
- my characters smile too much
- I have a strange obsession with eyes - why not noses or fingers or ears?
- there's always a better verb
- there's more to POV than meets the eye (see item 7)
- 'he said' and 'she asked' disappear - unlike 'he opined' and 'she queried' or 'he remarked' and 'she inquired'
Friday, April 29, 2011
If I knew then what I know now
Ten things I wish I knew two years ago: